Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Productive Labor Day

Well rainy days are good for something...finishing very old ufo's. I took out all my yarn from it's various hiding places for the purposes of consolidating and re-organizing. It was quite a surprise to see it all in one place. Even more surprised was my husband when he walked in. He had no idea my habit was so big! I managed to get the stash down to three bins and one bag. The three bins now hold (1) baby yarn, (2) all acrylic and (3) what I dub "the good stuff". The good stuff being "real" yarn that I am proud to own (most of it from my secret pal - who by the way shall be revealed when her final package gets here any minute now - she deserves her very own post). In the mix I found some unfinished objects and I found the courage to deal with them. I frogged a couple, threw out a couple (acrylic, no love lost) and decided to finish three:

The lavender ombre one is another Pixie Cables cardigan from the "Soft and Sweet" Red Heart Book. I think the sleeves are way too big for this sweater (would you agree?), so I'm not sure what to do with it..donate it maybe. The deep pink one is the Sweater with Square Set-in Sleeves from Baby Knits for Beginners by Debbie Bliss. I made this in Lion Brand Soft Baby to see if I could do it before I invested in better yarn. I think it came out great and would definitely make it again. The white one is the Wraparound Top from Crochet for Babies & Toddlers. I made this eons ago with the intent of putting it on our first child. Well our first child will likely be too big for this (he/she will probably be about 4 months old), but I'm not sure I can give it away. It is so soft and adorable I need to do something special with it, but I'm not sure what yet. Maybe I will donate it to the orphanage. So now the only UFO in my possession is a matching soaker to the wraparound top. I still have the required yarn and I couldn't bear to frog it. I am so proud of myself!

I did start to knit something for myself as promised. I've been meaning to make the Fetching wrist warmers for myself for some time now, especially since it uses only one skein of Debbie Bliss cashmerino aran. Over the weekend I got the first one done:
Don't ask me what color it is, I lost the band already, but needless to say it is a deep rosy pink. I think it came out really nice, but I'm not sure I am going to keep them as is. They are really more like palm warmers, and therefore not exactly what I was hoping for. I need them to be longer so that they help with the draft I get from the sleeves on my winter coat. And I need them to cover more finger...I really just want the tips of my fingers sticking out. So I need to frog this back to the the thumbhole and make the necessary adjustments. Of course this means this project is now double the price. Oh well, I'm worth it, right?

I am soon to start a lacey scarf with some pink (what else?) Fleece Artist Merino sent to me by my secret pal. It's too gorgeous to go on my feet. I am playing around with a few patterns, I'll let you know which I settle on.
I leave you with a Book Meme since I was recently tagged by Cozy. I read a ton of books, but I have a bad memory...but here goes:

1. One book that changed your life:
I don't think any book really changed my life..but the only thing that comes to mind is Watership Down by Richard Adams. This book was in the young adult section of the library, and being the voracious reader I am, I read it very young, like 11 or 12. I remember this being my first "real" book and it opened up a whole new love for reading, especially big epic novels.

2. One book that you've read more than once:
The Hobbit

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - romance, adventure..the whole series is so awesome, I'd want to bring them all.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Any "number" book by Janet Evanovich

5. One book that made you cry:
The Grapes of Wrath - not really cry, more like anger and frustration. I couldn't believe it ended that way after that whole big journey.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
How to know when to stop fertility treatments and get on with your life. I wish I read it three years ago.

7. One book you wish had never been written:
The last 4 books by Richard Patterson - I think they were all the same with different covers. Yikes, what happened to him.

8. One book you're currently reading:
The Husband - Dean Koontz (it's just okay).

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
The Great Gatsby - Can you believe I never read it??

10. Tag 6 people:
Play along if you'd like!

4 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Blogger me said...

Just in from vaca, I got my stitch markers! They are SO.DARN.COOL!!! OMG! I lovelovelove them! Veggies rock (of course) and I just can't stop staring at the cute ones you made for me. Thanks so so much! I'll put up pix soon. (Still tired and unpacking).

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Dang!!! You're a baby sweater machine! I think they all look great. And the longish sleeved pink one--honestly you never know. Kids are so weirdly proportioned (oh heck, so are adults) it will fit someone!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Lori Rode said...

You've gotta read the Great Gatsby. I just read it this year, and it is worth the read. Nice & short. I'm enjoying reading Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage, The Moon & Sixpence. I'm needing a pink scarf, myself. I'd suggest the Leigh Radford One Skein book for the fingerless mitts. Since it's just a tube, you can place the thumb opening anywhere you like and cover lots of finger or just a little.

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came over to say thank you for your nice compliment on my baby sweater and dang, woman! I'm no match for ya! I personally don't think the arms are too big on that one sweater, I think they just look that way because it's laying flat. On an actual squirt they'll probably look a lot better.

I like your Fetching, too. I have them on my "To knit, someday," list. Oh, to be free of obligation knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home