Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hey You!

FREE Y@RN


Okay now that got your attention, didn’t it? Well sorry, no free yarn, but I had to find some way to get all you SP8 participants to stay here for more than 2 seconds (my secret squirrel counter thingie tells me many of you come but seldom stay long). I guess you are scanning the blog to see if I’m your SP? Chances are I’m not. But hey, stick around! There’s knitting here! And witty banter! And, and ….cat pictures!

Okay fine, go…but at least leave me a comment? If you do, I promise I’ll come read your blog too..and who doesn’t want more blog readers, right?

Well if you’ve stuck around this long, let me show you some yarny goodness. Did I mention my super fantastic SP sent me a ball winder?? I am so excited. Not only because I can whip up neat little yarn cakes in record time, but because I no longer have to BEG my husband to PLEASE just sit STILL for 10 minutes and HOLD this (no not like that, like THIS) so I can wind (stop moving!) up this (let up some slack!) yarn!! Sheesh! And here is some evidence of my winding prowess:

This yarn is my further attempt into the world of dyeing. I used Wilton Cake dye this time (on Patons Classic Wool), but apparently I didn’t get the memo on how some of the colors are unstable and break, particularly violet. If you can possibly believe it, these two balls came from playing around with only Violet and Moss Green. I found out too late that applying straight vinegar to some parts made the dark purple finally stick. I think the result is quite nice, although now I'm not sure what to do with these single skeins. Someone recommended the Sophia bag, which is a great idea! I was thinking some kind of small baby sweater, but I wonder if the worsted wool would be too heavy/itchy?

And, why am I so obnoxiously cheery you ask? It's my BIRTHDAY! Well, Saturday technically, but I've been celebrating all week with some very excellent packages. And Ah, technically they weren't sent for my birthday, but let's just pretend. First up:My latest SP package was (as usual) filled with awesome goodies (sorry for the crappy picture, it's non stop rain here). I got not one but TWO fibertrend patterns for felted clogs (child & adult), plus 4 skeins of lambs pride and two pair of addi's. Gotta love it when the SP gets you all the ingredients for a fun project, especially one I've been meaning to try! Also included was some great sock yarn. Two balls of Regia in nice denimy colors (has bamboo! very soft!) and a pretty Opal. If I can just get caught up on the gifts I'm making, I can actually get started on stuff for me! My SP is great, and I can't wait to find out who she is. Since we trade novel length emails every other day, it would be nice to at least know her name!! Apart from the great gifts, it has been so great to make a new friend.

Okay, enough gushing....Next up:

Debbie, A fellow adoption blogger, knew I was a knitter and convinced her Grandma to clean out her closet! When she emailed me and told me she was sending "a box", I never dreamed of this! She is awesome!! Lot's of great baby yarn here, very excited. (Debbie, just say when and knitted baby garments are yours darling). But look at those CONES. The pink on the left is unmarked, but it appears to be a gazillion yards of acrylic fingering. The pink satin and blue pearl on the right are about 4800 yards each! I assume this is machine knitting yarn, it's all acrylic from Kraemer Textiles. Not sure what the heck to do with all of this! I think maybe I could make a cobweb lacey something. Or I read somewhere that I can double (or triple) this up for heavier weight yarn. My SP suggested a solid afghan using different textured squares - a definite possibility... Any other suggestions out there? Has anyone actually hand knitted with machine yarn out there?

Well if you're still here, thanks!! Dont' forget to leave a comment (can a girl at least get a Birthday shout out??) so I can visit you and see what yarny fabulousness you've been up to!

14 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger gretchen said...

What fantastic swag!!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Why don't I have friends who send me all that yarny goodness? Harrumph!

Well, Happy Birthday anyway! Those are some pretty awesome gifts. :)

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well well well! Happy birthday madame!
and what wonderful presents your mail brought you!

You can totally double (or triple!) any of the coned yarns for different thicnesses. Moderne Log Cabin Baby Blanket maybe?

Hope you have a fabulous birthday and many many more!!

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your dye job!! :) Happy Birthday. The only negative I have heard about machine cones is that they can be greasy...

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Lori Rode said...

I think I'm your number one fan. Love the Knitting Stephanies. What great gifts you got! Happy Birthday, sweetums! I mentioned you (again) on my blog. Can't believe we both posted on 'free yarn' at nearly the same time.

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What amazing additions to your stash! Can't wait to see what you do with it all!

Have a wonderful birthday -- hope it brings that something good in the mail that you (and I) have been waiting for ;)

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Looksl ike you amde out like a bandit. And amy I recommend the Fuzzy Feet Pattern from knitty for your hand-dyed loveliness? Or, you could always send it to me... Anyways, thats what I used my hand-dyed Paton's classic for. ;) Go check out my blog! I'm also the one who started the Favorite Color Swap, but you already know about that blog. Glad to have you joined up!

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Westozcaat said...

Happy Birthday- what great friends you have!

 
At 3:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My god, what a load of yarn! How sweet! And a ball winder. I drool with jealousy. I don't even have a husband to aid me, and here I am, soon to be winding THREE balls of lace. Sob sob, I know. ;-)

Happy birthday!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger mama k said...

Gotta love yarn winders. I need to get me one of those. If it was me, I'd totally double or triple the thinner yarn. I don't like working w/ the thinner stuff.
Love the new masthead by the way!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Wow, what a great gift!! And I love your dye jobs!

And your new header on the blog CRACKS ME UP! Too freakin' funny!!!!!!!!

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I like the hand-dyed. Handsome kitty, too.

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday!

One idea for all that yardage of yarn....you could use that fancy ball winder of yours, wind some up into cakes and send them out to friends! Me first! (I'm partial to the pink myself.)

Ok, so you can't send any to me. I'm still a SECRET! I was just saying is all... ;-)

Enjoy that lovely stash you got going there!

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use machine yarn all the time, doubled or trippled. Works great.
A Kiri shawl in 1 strand each of the pink and blue on size 7 needles would be a lovely, light fluffy thing for a new mom to nurse under.
Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home