Saturday, July 29, 2006

Is it me??

....or is lace a BITCH to block?? The tips of my fingers are numb from inserting and removing pins. I guess you just have to suck it up and realize that you need to put a bazillion of them in there and not try to cut corners. Oh Well. Ene is done and is blocking.
Now on to baby things. There are 5 people who are expecting in my life and most of them close to the end! You would think with all of this blatant fertility around me, I wouldn't have the problems I do but whatever!!! So I need to spend some time today experimenting with super quick baby gifts. I may even *gasp* crochet, because it's 100 times faster than knitting and for babies it's cute. I may even try a crochet version of the baby kimono...I'll let you know what I come up with. If anyone has any suggestions for a baby gift using chunky yarn (other than a blanket), please let me know.

Oh and lest you think that my kitty up there only has a penchant for knitting needles, she also LOVES McD0nalds's French Fries! Proof:

Hope you're all staying cool!

8 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't speak from personal experiences, but blocking wires http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/itemid_80315/tools_display.aspx seem like a great tool and definitely something I would go for if I ever knit lace. There's also a Yarn Harlot entry on blocking lace using thread: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2005/08/23/walk_around_the_block.html using the same principal as the blocking wires.

Of course, this all really helps you now that you've pinned it all up. That's me, always late to the party.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Lori Rode said...

A crochet baby kimono would be SO CUTE! It would also give you lots of control over the sleeve sizes. I'm also working on baby stuff over the weekend. Best of luck!

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Yes it is a bitch!! And I'll ever blocked is a lousy branching out and THAT took forever!!!

Your cat is a nut!!! :-)

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it is a pain in the arse. LOL Blocking wires are awesome and well worth the investment if you do a lot of lace work. I can't wait to see a picture of the scarf. It looks like it's just gorgeous!

I've always marveled at the things some cats will eat. The only thing our Mickey boy eats besides his own food and treats is the dog's food. He's also very picky about his water source. He won't drink from his own bowl at all but opts for the left side of the dog's water dish. When he runs out of water he screams at us to follow him to the kitchen where he lays in front of the dish and bats his paw into the empty side. Crazy cat.

Make sure you post a pic of the crocheted kimono if you decide to tackle it. I made up my own crochet pattern for a back zippered sweater about 20 years ago before I learned to knit and everyone loved it. I loved how quick it was to work up. Hmmm...wonder what ever became of it. Will have to try to dig it out. :-)

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Big hugs from your SP8!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Allegra said...

we used to have a cat when i was growing up that loved cheese curls.

i love ene's scarf! it's beautiful!

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Spinsanity said...

Dare I admit that I've never officially blocked anything in my entire life of knit and crochet? I used to starch and steam the crap out of crocheted doilies and such. Doh!

As for a quick knit baby gift... http://home.pacbell.net/kapleo/blog/domesticspherepatterns.html scroll down to the "bulky baby asymmetrical cardigan"...it's super quick and cute. I haven't actually knit it with bulky, just fudged the numbers with some Cotton-Ease.

Shannon

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Spinsanity said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Spinsanity said...

Stupid URL keeps cutting off...just search "bulky baby asymmetrical cardigan," it comes up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home