Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Knitted Gifties

Why does it always seem that when I am ready to sit down and knit something for myself, a new slew of birthdays, births and other events come along and I feel compelled to knit everyone gifts? I always do this to myself and I never have enough time. The latest crisis is a gift for my aunt who is turning 70 this Saturday. I didn't know it was such a milestone birthday until several days ago. Now this aunt knows I'm a knitter and not giving her a home made gift would be an insult. So I rummage through the stash and the books, and I came up with Ene's Scarf from Scarf Style using the left over yarn from the Leaf Lace Shawl. I was hesitant to start another lace project after the monotony of the last one, but I am actually really liking this pattern. Here is what I have so far: I think the biggest difference is that with this shawl, you cast on a large number of stitches, and then decrease as you go along. This gives you the sense that you are actually accomplishing something! Also, the charts are extremely clear and easy to follow, and the repeats are easy to memorize. I am so confident with this pattern, you'll notice I am doing lace on Addi's! I won't be done by Saturday, so I plan to give her a card with a little snippet of yarn giving her a glimpse of the surprise to come (hopefully) soon after.

I finished the baby kimono.... ....so freaking cute I now want to make one in every color sugar n' cream comes in. For the ties, I just took a double strand of the yarn and twisted it on itself. Much quicker than sewing in ribbon or making i-cord. I already started another one (I always like to have a portable project) in Butter Creme Ombre. I love the changes in colors. As for my SIL's gift, I am definitely ditching the wrap. Any ideas on what to do with 2 skeins of Paton's Divine? Think anyone will swap for this stuff? I am not sure if I am going to make her anything after all. She was a complete jerk last weekend and doesn't deserve anything. My MIL cooked a huge meal because friends of ours were coming over to help them with some estate planning. These are the friends who were integral in getting us hooked up with the orphanage in Colombia. Being italian, the woman cooked for an army, despite the fact that she has a seriously bad back. My SIL, who needed to come over and sign some papers, calls 15 minutes before we were supposed to eat and says "When are they coming over because I'm going out to dinner you know". My in-laws were floored that she wasn't eating with us. But you know, they didn't say one word to her. Wierd family. My mother would have screamed at me and insisted I eat there since she spent all day cooking (not that I would have been so rude to begin with). So now I'm supposed to knit for her?? Oh and I remembered that for my last birthday, she got me a cat figurine that was sitting on a purple base (reasoning: because I like cats and I like purple). First of all, I like MY cats, and that's pretty much where it ends. I don't have many knick knacks around the house, but the ones I have are NOT cats. Second of all, yes I like purple (but pink is my favorite color), but there is not one drop of purple anywhere in my house so where exactly would I put it? And third of all, did you think I was so stupid to not realize that IT IS A HALLOWEEN DECORATION??? My birthday is in July, so let's just guess how much she paid for that baby, huh?? Man I wish I could find that thing so I could show you how awful...

7 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm that butter cream ombre is yummy! Is it PnC or SnC?

The kimono is awesome! How did you attach the ties? (I have the 2 kimonos done, with no ties yet since I havent decided what I want to use)

As for the SIL? Must be something in the water lately. I'm just sayin'...

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger mama k said...

The kimono turned out fabulous! I'm going to have to get that book from the library.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute. I really want to knit one of those kimono's...and must get back to my own lace leaf.


katyknits

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Lori Rode said...

I'm loving the kimono! You've inspired me, again! The ties are great, too.

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see that scarf when it's finished! The shawl was just beautiful so there's no doubt that this will be too. :-)

The kimono looks like such a fun little project. I really like both colors BUT, where's the blue one??? :-) I've not yet bought the Mason Dixon book. I think a trip to the LYS might be in order this weekend. I mean, I have tons of cotton and someone is always having a baby...all I need is the darn book. LOL

As for the SIL...I have a feeling if she started being decent you'd think something was wrong with her. Too bad she has to be one of THOSE kind of people. LOL

Hope you have lots of fun this weekend!!! You sure will be busy!

Hugs to you!

Your SP8

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That baby kimono is great, I love the pattern!

 
At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*giggling about the cat figurine* Sounds like my grandmother. She thinks that because I like cats, it's suitable to get me a kitty calendar /every year/, and tries to forward me all these "oh so cute" posed up and professionally photographed kitty photos on the net all the time. Goi. I like cats, the real living creatures. Not billions of cutesy pictures of them. :)

On another note - adorable baby kimono!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home