Monday, August 21, 2006

I suck as a friend

I haven't given one baby gift yet. Even though I pared my list of 5 down to 2 worthy baby having recipients, I haven't gifted a thing. I finished the buttercream kimono but I don't particularly like how it came out. (This is NOT blocked)
First of all, I did stockinette this time, and while my stitch guage was fine, my row guage was all off. When I got 40 stitches on the needle from knitting the front flaps, I was already even with the back. So there is no room to put two ties. I tried picking up and knitting some garter stitch rows which helped slightly (mostly to hide a sucky seaming job), but I didn't have enough cotton left over to make much of a difference. I also screwed up something when I decided to make the sleeves straight so the sleeve seams are a little wonky. Methinks I didn't pay enough attention while I was knitting this. But on the bright side, I made some matching booties and a hat, which I got from my recently purchased copy of Natural Knits for Babies & Moms.

LOVE this book. Simple designs in dk weight yarn but very adorable. The only complaint I have is that the hat, booties and little stuffed animals instructions are to knit flat and seam. I guess I could just do that in the round, huh? Not rocket science. I am not sure how the hat will fit, it seems a little mushroomy and too big compared to the kimono.

So now what. Well, Ms C-Section had the nerve to have a girl and spoil my plans of giving her the crocheted blanket I had. Since she already has a boy, and does indeed deserve to have a girl, I will forgive her and knit her something else. Not sure what yet. I need to get me some non acrylic dk cotton and make her something from the above book I think. Wool is so impractical for new moms. The crocheted blanket will go to my co-worker who's wife did in fact have a boy this very day. Not only do they already have a girl, they are irish too, which is a plus because the pattern is an irish chain. The kimono set I think I will give to my neighbor who is pregnant.

Wow, see how these things all work out in the end? Okay, now. I need to start something for myself. I just need to set aside 5 minutes and think about it. Socks or wristwarmers. I need to do a little pattern / stash comparison and I'll get back to ya....

5 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patons Grace has many beautiful colors! I think the kimono looks cute in the picture. :)

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Kerry said...

How about doing a tie a little further up on the kimono? You could just pick a spot and work a crocheted chain or i-cord on each side of the sweater. The ties don't have to be at the bottom. I think the sleeves look just fine. Don't be so hard on yourself! The set is just adorable and any new mom should be thrilled to get it. I also wouldn't worry about the hat at all. Babies have HUGE heads. :-)

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

See, I like the kimono too...I esp. love the colors! You're gifting to non-knitters right? They'll never know the difference and will be floored by your skills! :-)

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

What?!
I think that kimono looks great!
You should totally gift it. The colourway is fabulous and the outfit is too darling for words.
They will only see the love that went into it. Trust me.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the kimono!

I made one a while back and instead of a tie I used snaps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home